FACT CHECK: Facebook Post Does Not Show Genuine New York Daily News Headline
An image shared on Facebook claims to show a purported New York Daily News headline about a rabbi who supposedly said, “world peace can only be achieved once whites are no longer a majority in any country.”
The image has been digitally altered. The actual headline highlights Yisroel Goldstein, a California rabbi who pleaded guilty to a multi-million dollar tax scam.
The Facebook post purports to show a New York Daily News headline, which reads, “Rabbi claims world peace can only be achieved once whites are no longer a majority in any country.” The image claims the headline was written by Jessica Schladebeck and published on Jul. 15, 2020.
The image is digitally altered, however. The actual headline, published by the New York Daily News on Jul. 15, 2020, highlights Goldstein, a California rabbi who pleaded guilty to a multi-million dollar tax scam. Goldstein, who was wounded in a 2019 shooting, collected fake donations for Poway Synagogue, returning 90% of the contributions while keeping the other 10% for himself, according to the New York Daily News. Because of Goldstein’s cooperation with investigators, he was recommended to receive probation rather than a maximum sentence of five years in prison, the outlet indicated.
Goldstein retired as leader of Poway Synagogue in 2019, according to the Los Angeles Times. Goldstein founded the synagogue in 1986, the outlet reported.
Additionally, the supposed comment featured in the Facebook post does not appear in the article. (RELATED: Was Benjamin Netanyahu Named Time Magazine’s ‘Killer Of The Year?’)
Likewise, Check Your Fact did not find the purported headline shared via the Facebook post on the New York Daily News’ website or verified social media accounts. The headline also does not appear among a list of stories written by its purported author, Schladebeck. Furthermore, a keyword search does not generate any credible news reports from other major media outlets matching the purported headline.
Check Your Fact has contacted Schladebeck for comment and will update this piece accordingly if one is received.